Waterfront infrastructures are exposed to unique environmental conditions; therefore, careful considerations should be made when selecting building materials. Marine fixtures must be able to withstand constant exposure to sunlight, salt water, corrosive chemicals, and changing weather conditions. Traditional building materials, such as wood, steel, and concrete, often deteriorate in this type of environment. For these reasons, fiberglass-reinforced polymer (FRP) is becoming the go-to material to replace aging marine infrastructure.
FRP Waterfront Applications
Waterfront infrastructure encompasses a wide range of applications, including elements that are completely submerged in the ocean as well as land-based structures along the shoreline. These structures are exposed to sunlight and saltwater, and in certain applications must be able to bear heavy loads. These unique conditions require specialized materials as well as a skilled design and build team.
The Creative Composites Group works with you to develop customized solutions for each specific application such as:
- Fender systems. FRP is suitable for various fender products, including pipe piles, wales, and dolphins. FRP can withstand high impacts and offers the strength of steel while being better at energy absorption.
- Guide walls. When used in guide wall applications, FRP improves safety, minimizes damage to vessels, and requires no maintenance.
- Sheet piles. FRP sheet piles provide taller wall heights, an attractive appearance, corrosion resistance, and durable performance against the toughest conditions.
- Camels and separators. FRP is a great choice for log camels, submarine camels, aircraft carrier camels, and ship separators. These can be built in nearly any size and design and have the added benefit of being corrosion resistant.
- Docks and marinas. FRP provides the framework for these applications and is easier to install than traditional methods due to its lightweight nature.
- Specialty applications. We can help you find the best FRP formulation for any specialty application.
The unique qualities of FRP make it a highly beneficial material for waterfront infrastructure applications. For example, FRP is surrounded by a chemical and UV-resistant polymer, which makes it corrosion-resistant and protects it from environmental conditions. It also delivers an excellent return on investment, as it lasts up to 75 years without needing maintenance.
FRP is also lightweight while strong and flexible in a way that can't be replicated by non-composite materials. It has a high strength-to-weight ratio and gains its strength from fiberglass, which is a very cost-effective material. Another advantage of using FRP in waterfront applications is that it is naturally buoyant, which makes installation easier compared to other materials, such as metal or concrete.
Design and Build Services Provide the Innovative Solution
Waterfront infrastructure applications that utilize FRP have been very successful. This is partially due to the integration of design and build services that Creative Composites Group offers. Organizations that are familiar with the design and manufacturing side of technology can optimize both services. FRP structures are designed to offer cost-effectiveness and optimal performance.
At Creative Composites Group, we provide carefully designed systems, not just the products. For example, we design fender systems using various piling, wale, walkway, and dolphin products. Our design expertise allows us to provide the best system by selecting the ideal combination of parts. This results in FRP systems that provide all the long-term benefits of traditional materials while having a lower acquisition.
We welcome customers with special requirements. Our extensive knowledge of original waterfront infrastructure designs enables us to meet unique demands and create new products for each situation.
Creative Composites Group Solutions
FRP composites are quickly becoming the construction material of choice due to their many benefits, such as strength, cost-effectiveness, and longevity. Creative Composites Group delivers turnkey solutions of all sizes, from one-off individually molded parts to long-term production of specialized items. To learn more about FRP in waterfront infrastructure projects, you can download our free eBook or contact us today.